UUA Urges Us to “Show the Love”
Unitarian Universalists are encouraged to publicly proclaim their values and take action in their communities to show their love for justice. Visit uua.org/showthelove for links to resources to help us “Show the Love” by taking action this new year. For questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016-2017 UUFS Outreach Programs
Overseen by our Social Justice Team, our Fellowship proudly gives 5% of our annual budget towards supporting causes and organizations that serve those in our community. So far in fiscal year 2016-2017, we donated $2,500 each to the following two organizations:
- HomeFirst — HomeFirst, previously known as EHC LifeBuilders, provides programs for the homeless in Santa Clara County. This organization also runs the county’s new Cold Weather Shelter, sheltering 125 people each night through the winter months. (Our congregation also provides meals at the shelter once a month December through March.)
- Sunnyvale Community Services — SCS serves low income people who live in Sunnyvale with donations of food basics, a “store” for gifts for the holidays at the end of the year, and grants of money to help people who are facing evictions and have hardship like a disabling illness.
$1,250 each went to:
- Vargas Elementary serving children from low income families in Sunnyvale.
- The Mountain View Day Worker Center which provides a place for migrants usually far from home.
$500 each went to:
- AACI Asian American Community Involvement Domestic Violence Program
- UU Justice Ministry of California
- San Jose Family Shelter
- Habitat for Humanity
$400 went to Planned Parenthood Mar Monte.
$100 went to Multifaith Voices for Peace in Palo Alto.
And $50 went to the UU Partner Church Council which sends us news and information about their Unitarian members in Romania and other countries outside the US.
For more information on our Social Justice Outreach Programs, or to have your voice heard, come to a meeting. We meet on the second Sunday after church at 11:00 a.m. in Room 2. Contact email@example.com.
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
Another way we as UUs contribute to social justice is through the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee. UUSC is a human rights organization with a global reach powered by grassroots collaboration. In more than a dozen countries throughout the world UUSC advances a full array of human rights — promoting economic justice, bolstering environmental justice, and protecting rights at risk. As part of the latter, UUSC works to deliver aid with dignity and advance the rights of people left behind during humanitarian crises, which include forgotten conflicts, natural disasters, and forced immigration. Learn more about UUSC’s work at www.uusc.org/our-work.
UUSC is pleased to have earned the highest possible rating — four out of four stars — from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent evaluator of nonprofit organizations. The rating reflects UUSC’s consistent execution of its mission in a fiscally responsible way.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Unitarian Universalist Justice Ministry of California
The Unitarian Universalist Justice Ministry of California is a grassroots organization committed to advancing justice by cultivating and connecting leaders and communities, and by empowering the public voice of those who share UU values and principles. Volunteer-led Action Teams in our state are working to educate, organize and advocate for:
- Economic Justice
- Environmental Justice
- Immigrant Justice
- LGBTQI Equality
- Prison Reform
If you are interested in learning more about the UUJMCA or supporting their work, contact email@example.com.
Statements of Conscience
The UUA Commission on Social Witness proposes study/action issues (CSAI) for consideration at General Assembly. Out of this process comes Statements of Conscience to focus the efforts of congregations and other UU groups. SOC shape the meaning of contemporary Unitarian Universalism and empower the Office of Advocacy and Witness to lobby our positions in pending legislation.
Please send corrections or updates to this page to firstname.lastname@example.org.